As of 2014 new laws governing the safety to children posed by everyday window blinds came into force.
Before these laws were introduced the cords and strings hanging down from window blinds were very long, often down to the window sill.
While this was easy for the user to operate the window blind it also give an opportunity for inquisitive children to explore, which has unfortunately lead to serious and fatal accidents.
All window blinds fitted from 2014 are required by law to be child safe, Child Safety in a window blind varies fort different blinds.
Some examples of child safety are as below:
- Cords and chains should be 1.5 metre off ground level
- Cord breakaways should be fitted where necessary
- Cleats fitted
- Cord breakaway on roman blinds
- Cord tidy/tensioner fitted where necessary
- Wand operated vertical blinds
- Tension blinds no visible cords